Finding creative ways to extend your mission wardrobe just got easier!
Out of necessity & desperation, sister missionaries have been mixing patterns long before it was the "cool" thing to do! The longer you are out in the field, the more adventurous you get in your outfit combinations. The nice thing is, now it is socially acceptable to wear that striped top with your favorite floral skirt!
Pattern mixing is part art, part science. There is a right & a wrong way to implement this trend into your mission wardrobe.
So here are some basic rules (with examples) to help you:
1. Choose one print to dominate and one as an accent.
2. Keep your patterns in the same color family.
3. Pick 2 different prints that share a single color.
4. Mix the same print but in different colors.
5. Mix the same print but invert the colors & play with size.
6. Treat stripes as a neutral.
7. Use textured (& monochromatic) fabrics as prints.
8. Pair neutral prints with a colorful print.
9. Use a solid layer on top to tone down the paired patterns.
11. Layering with dresses allows you to use more than just a top & skirt to pair patterns.
12. Be adventurous. It is all about being confident in what you are wearing!